Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Monkey Wrench!!!!

My intentions were to update my blog every Sunday like a good blogger should do...... but such is the single mom life and this Sunday a huge monkey wrench was thrown into my plans. We were at JT's baseball batting practice and Parker got too close just as JT was taking a "homerun" swing and Parker was hit just above the left eye. His little body spun around and he fell face first into the grass; I rolled him over and his eyes had rolled back into his head. The medical side of me took over...... I knew exactly what to do, but on the inside, I couldn't breathe. I wanted to scream at the top of my lungs for help, but I knew that help wouldn't come because I was the most qualified person there. I have always carried a certain amount of pride at the way I can keep a level head, but when it is my child that is hurt, my child that is laying on the ground unconscious...... I don't want to be calm, I wanted to fall apart for a second. When you are a single mom you don't always have that luxury. There is no one there for me to lean on and 99% of the time I am perfectly fine with that...... but on Sunday I wanted, I almost needed to feel that 1%.

I took Parker to the ER, he had a CAT scan which was negative for a skull fracture. He has a nasty concussion and is having headaches and nausea. We had a re-check at the Peds office yesterday and Dr. Adams was great...... he took the time to explain the residual effects of having a concussion and the healing time. I had no idea it would be another 5-6 weeks before Parker would be up and running again. 

It is now 4 days later and Parker went to school this morning for the first time. It felt like the day I walked him into kindergarten. I didn't want to leave him...... but I was a good mom and I gave him a hug and I left. God's hand was all over Parker and I can't praise him enough for that!!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment